Tuesday 17 January 1911
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Joseph Stigler and Hermann Pfrogner.
In the Hands of Impostors, directed by August Blom, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
while The Harvester by Gene Stratton Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1911!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1911 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Hermann Pfrogner: Austria -- Musicologist (Zerrissene Orpheus).
- George Joseph Stigler: American economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1991).
- André-Georges Haudricourt: French botanist, anthropologist and linguist, who died on 20 August 1996.
- Hank Leiber: American professional baseball player who played as an outfielder in Major League Baseball from 1933 to 1942 with the New York Giants and Chicago Cubs.
- George Stigler: American economist.
- Philibert Smellinckx: Belgium sport Champion.
- Busher Jackson: Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1966).
- John McCain: American admiral (d. 1981).
- Failed assassination attempt on premier Aristide Briand in French Assembly.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?