Thursday 17 January 1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on January 17, 1929). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jacques Plante and Tan Teik.
The Broadway Melody, directed by Harry Beaumont, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 January 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 January 1929!
Which were the important events of 17 January 1929 ?
- Catholicism - Feast day of the following saints: St. Anthony and Amelbert.
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Jacques Plante: Canadian hockey player, called "Jake the Snake".
- Tan Teik: Malaysian-Singaporean lawyer and politician Attorney-General of Singapore (d. 2012).
- Popeye makes first appearance, in comic strip Thimble Theatre.
- Inayatullah Khan, king of the Emirate of Afghanistan abdicates the throne after only three days into his reign.