Monday 21 October 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 21, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pelé and Manfred Mann.
The Mark of Zorro, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 21 October 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 21 October 1940 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Pelé : Brazilian soccer player considered the athlete of the century.
- Manfred Mann: South African-English keyboard player and producer (Manfred Mann Manfred Mann's Earth Band and Manfred Mann Chapter Three).
- Geoffrey Boycott: British sports figure, a brilliant but controversial cricket player who retired in 1986.
- Frances Fitzgerald
- Osamu Watanabe: Japan -- Featherweight (1964 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Geoff Boycott: English cricketer.
- Frankie FitzGerald: American Pulitzer Prize-winning author on Vietnam, described as a "cultural anthropologist working as a reporter.
- Natalia Makarova: Dancer.
- Rhoda Gemignani: American actress.
- Marita Petersen: Faroese educator and politician Prime Minister of the Faroe Islands (d. 2001).
- Frances FitzGerald: American journalist and author.
- Don Ritter: (Rep-R-Pennsylvania, 1979- ).
- Frances FitzGerald in New York City: New York, USA; journalist/author (Fire in the Lake).
- Julie Parrish: Middlesboro, Kentucky -- Actress (Good Morning World, Capitol).
- William G Conley: Governor of West Virginia (Born 1866).
- RAF drops 1st anti-Nazi pamphlets on Netherlands