Thursday 22 February 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Julian Chagrin and Johnson P.
The Baker's Wife, directed by Marcel Pagnol, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 22 February 1940!
Which were the important events of 22 February 1940 ?
- Blessed Saint Isabel of France (+1270)
- United States - Washington's Birthday (traditionally).
- Ash Wednesday in 2023.
- Saint Lucia - independence (1979).
- The Scouting movement celebrates this day as "B.-P. day" or "Founder's Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrates this day as "Thinking Day" as it is the shared birthday of the Scouts' founder Sir Robert Baden-Powell, and his wife, Lady Olave Baden-Powell, the World Chief Guide.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter.
- Julian Chagrin: London, England -- Mime / actor (Golddiggers).
- Johnson P: Mlambo; South African leader (Pan-African Congress).
- Chet Walker: NBA all-star forward (Chicago Bulls).
- Johnson Mlambo: South African politician.
- Billy Name: American photographer.
- Judy Cornwell: British-American actress often cast in seductive roles. At the age of 27 she signed with Hollywood for a long-term contract. With her infectious giggle, she was given the high-profile role of slob Daisy in "Keeping Up Appearances," after years of TV and theatre work.
- Guy Hermier: French politician, who served as deputy of the French communist party (PCF) having been involved in its "refounding."
- German air force sinks two German destroyers, killing 578.
- Finnish troops vacate Koivisto island.
- In Tibet, province of Ando, 4-year-old Tenzin Gyatso is proclaimed the ''tulku'' (rebirth) of the thirteenth Dalai Lama.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?