Tuesday 27 August 1918
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anneliese Uhlig and Lord Winstanley.
The Lady of the Dugout, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
while The Tree of Heaven by May Sinclair was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1918!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1918 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Anneliese Uhlig
- Lord Winstanley: Physician / British MP (Labour).
- Jelle Zijlstra: Dutch politician, economist, Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs and Prime Minister.
- Claude Wimphen: Nemours Journalist.
- Christy Mathewson resigns as Reds manager to accept a commission as a captain in chemical warfare branch of Army
- Dr Joseph L Johnson named minister to Liberia.
- Battle of Ambos Nogales: U.S. Army forces skirmish against Mexican Carrancistas and their German advisors in the only battle of World War I fought on American soil.
- 20,000 London policemen strike for increased pay and union recognition.
- Russian Revolution: Vladmir Lenin is shot by Fanya Kaplan, but he survives. Moisei Uritsky, the Petrograd head of the Cheka, is assassinated the same day.
- September ndash British armies and their Arab allies roll into Syria.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1918 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- American Fantasie - Victor Herbert & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?