Thursday 29 August 1918
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jelle Zijlstra and Garland Lawing.
The Lady of the Dugout, directed by W.S. Van Dyke, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
while Greatheart by Ethel M. Dell was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1918!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1918 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Jelle Zijlstra: Economist / Minister / President Netherlands Bank.
- Garland Lawing: American baseball player nicknamed "Knobby," a right-handed catcher who played two games for the Cincinnati Reds and eight games for the New York Giants during the summer of 1946.
- Philippe Boulart: France sport Champion.
- Max Dauthendey: German author and painter (d. 1918).
- Bapaume taken by the New Zealand Division in the Hundred Days Offensive
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1918 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- American Fantasie - Victor Herbert & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?