Tuesday December 31, 1946, NewYear’s Eve
US date format: 12/31/1946, UK date format: 31/12/1946
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on December 31, 1946). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Clement Attlee (Labour), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Diane von Fürstenberg and Patti Smith in Chicago.
Dead Reckoning, directed by John Cromwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
On TV people were watching Muffin the Mule.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of December 31, 1946?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- French troops leave Lebanon.
- President Harry Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II.
- The 20nbspmm M61 Vulcan Gatling gun contract is released.
- Female suffrage is enacted in Belgium, Romania, Yugoslavia, Argentina and the Canadian province of Quebec.
- See more
- Frits [Frederik H] Tartaud: Dutch actor, dies at age 89.
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial