Saturday 1 August 1914
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include J Lee Thompson and Jack Delano.
The Face on the Barroom Floor, directed by Charles Chaplin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 August 1914
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1914 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- J Lee Thompson: British film director (d. 2002).
- Jack Delano: American photographer and composer (d. 1997).
- Alan Moore: Australian painter and educator (d. 2015).
- J Thompson: English-Canadian director producer and screenwriter (d. 2002).
- British fleet reaches Scapa Flow
- Emperor Wilhelm II declares war on his nephew tsar Nicolas II (WWI)
- France and Germany mobilize
- Trois Vierges: German 69th infantry regiment enter Luxembourg Germany declares war on Russia in WWI
- Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I. The Swiss Army mobilises because of World War I
- The First World War begins.
- Marcus Garvey founds the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) in Jamaica.
- France orders general mobilization.
- New York Stock Exchange closed due to war in Europe, where nearly all stock exchanges were already closed.
- German troops occupy Luxembourg in accordance with its Schlieffen Plan.
- A secret treaty between Turkey and Germany secures Turkish neutrality.
- At 7:00 am (local time) Belgium declines to accept Germany's ultimatum of August 2.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- When It's Moonlight on the Alamo - Peerless Quartet
- Kitty McKay - Prince's Orchestra
- When the Angelus is Ringing - Lyric Quartet
- Gems from High Jinks - Victor Light Opera Co.