Thursday 8 May 1930
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 8, 1930). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gary Snyder and Heather Harper.
Sunny Skies, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1930
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 May 1930
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1930 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Gary Snyder: American poet, author and member of the beat-generation with Ginsberg and Kerouac, the prototype for "Dharma Bums.
- Heather Harper: Irish-English soprano.
- Jacques Frémontier: French historian, sociologist, novelist, journalist (director from 1965 to 1969 of Paris Jour; editor of Paris Presse 1962-1965), and television producer and writer (1967-1983).
- Totie Fields: Comedian.
- René Maltête: French photographer and poet (d. 2000).
- Doug Atkins: American football player (d. 2015).
- Doug Atkins in Humbolt: Tennessee, USA; NFL hall of famer (Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bears, New Orleans Saints).
- Lvar Henning Mankell: Composer, dies at 61.