Thursday 12 December 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius (see planets position on December 12, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dionne Warwick and André Bercoff.
Flight Command, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 12 December 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 12 December 1940 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Mas�'il (Questions) - First day of the 15th month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Also see December 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Kenya - Jamhuri Day: Independence Day (from Britain, 1963)
- Dionne Warwick: American singer and recording artist with many hits to her credit.
- André Bercoff: Franco-Lebanese journalist and writer, who has written under the pseudonyms of Philippe de Commines, Philippe Mura, Catherine Médicis and Caton.
- Frances Willard: American magician.
- Shirley Englehorn: LPGA golfer.
- Sharad Pawar: Indian politician Indian Minister of Agriculture.
- Arnaldo Jabor: Brazilian film director, screenwriter and producer of Lebanese descent.
- Dionne Warwick in East Orange: New Jersey, USA; singer (Solid Gold, "Way to San Jose").
- British troops conquer Sidi el-Barrani.
- World War II: Approximately 70 people are killed in the Marples Hotel, Fitzalan Square, Sheffield as a result of a German air raid.
- WWII British destroyers sink an Italian submarine off Bardia.
- Royal Navy Fairey Swordfish based on Malta bomb Tripoli.
- Plutonium is first synthesized in the laboratory by a team led by Glenn T. Seaborg and Edwin McMillan at the University of California, Berkeley.