Thursday 26 December 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Harmen Siezen and Edward Prescott.
The Reluctant Dragon, directed by Alfred L. Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while The Nazarene by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Men at Work.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1940 ?
- First day of Kwanzaa
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Harmen Siezen: Dutch TV-journal host.
- Edward Prescott: American economist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Ray Sadecki: American Major league baseball pitcher.
- 1st-class debut of Arthur Morris, who scores 148
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1940 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- There I Go - Will Bradley & His Orchestra
- So You're the One - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- I Give You My Word - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- Along the Santa Fe Trail - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?