Monday 23 December 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include David Nyhan and Jorma Kaukonen.
Night Train to Munich, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1940 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- David Nyhan: American journalist who wrote for the Boston Globe for 32 years covering a wide range of news but concentrating on the political front.
- Jorma Kaukonen: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna).
- Robert Labine: French-Canadian politician.
- Eugene Record: American songwriter and singer (The Chi-Lites) (Born 1940).
- World War II: Greek submarine Papanikolis (?-2) sinks the Italian motor ship Antonietta.
- WWII: Winston Churchill, in a broadcast address to the people of Italy, blames Benito Mussolini for leading his nation to war against the British, contrary to Italy's historic friendship with them: quotOne man has arrayed the trustees and inheritors of ancient Rome upon the side of the ferocious pagan barbarians.quot
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1940 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- There I Go - Will Bradley & His Orchestra
- So You're the One - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- I Give You My Word - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- Along the Santa Fe Trail - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?