Tuesday 24 December 1940, Christmas Eve
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anthony Fauci and Jorma Kaukonen in Washington DC.
Night Train to Munich, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1940 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Anthony Fauci: US health official.
- Jorma Kaukonen in Washington DC: USA; rock guitarist/vocalist (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna).
- Janet Carroll: American actress and singer (d. 2012).
- Mahatma Gandhi, Indian spiritual non-violence leader writes his second letter to Adolf Hitler addressing him quotMy friendquot, requesting him to stop the war Germany had begun.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, in a fireside chat to the nation, declares that the United States must become ampquotthe great arsenal of democracy.ampquot
- WWII: ampquotSecond Great Fire of Londonampquot ndash Luftwaffe carries out a massive incendiary bombing raid, starting 1,500 fires. Many famous buildings, including the Guildhall and Trinity House, are either damaged or destroyed.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 December 1940
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1940 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- There I Go - Will Bradley & His Orchestra
- So You're the One - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- I Give You My Word - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
- Along the Santa Fe Trail - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?