Thursday 16 August 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Walter Butler and Florence Woerth.
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
War and Peace, directed by King Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Half-Crown House by Helen Ashton was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Black Tulip.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1956
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1956!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1956 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Walter Butler
- Florence Woerth
- Dwight Morrow High School
- Colleen Walker: Jacksonville, Florida -- LPGA golfer (1988 Mazda Champions).
- Daniel Willems: Belgian cyclist.
- Dominic Erban: French rugby international player.
- Vahan Hovhannisyan: Armenian soldier and politician (d. 2014).
- Bela Lugosi: Hungarian-American actor who was a stage performer for over 20 years before moving into film.
- Adlai E Stevenson nominated as Democratic US presidential candidate.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) - Doris Day
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Tony Martin - Walk Hand In Hand
- Sweet Old-Fashioned Girl - Teresa Brewer
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?