Tuesday 17 November 1942
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Annemarie Oster and Martin Scorsese in Queens.
You Were Never Lovelier, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
while Drivin' Woman by Elizabeth Pickett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 1942!
Which were the important events of 17 November 1942 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Annemarie Oster: Dutch actress (Goede Tijden Slechte Tijden).
- Martin Scorsese in Queens: New York, USA; director (Mean Streets, Last Temptation of Christ).
- Kang Kek Iew: Cambodian politician and criminal.
- Derek Clayton: British track and field star, the world's fastest marathoner 12/03/1967 when he stunned the athletic world by becoming the first to race the classic distance in two hours and 12 minutes, a title he held to 10/25/1981 when the record was beaten by a 23-year-old American, Alberto Salazar.
- Martin Scorsese: American award-winning film director who is known for his attraction to the seamy side of life.
- Partha Dasgupta: Bangladeshi economist and academic
- Bob Gaudio: American singer-songwriter keyboard player and producer (The Four Seasons)
- Kang Iew: Cambodian criminal
- Lesley Rees: English endocrinologist and academic
- István Rosztóczy: Hungarian-Japanese microbiologist and physician (d. 1993)
- Ben Reitman: American anarchist, physician (Born 1879).
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1942 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?