Thursday 24 October 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on October 24, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Pierre Genet and Martin Campbell.
The Mark of Zorro, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 October 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1940 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Jean-Pierre Genet: French road bicycle racer, professional from 1964 to 1976.
- Martin Campbell: New Zealand director and producer.
- Rafał Piszcz: Polish canoe racer (d. 2012).
- David Sainsbury, Baron Sainsbury of Turville: Politician.
- Yossi Sarid: Israeli politician (d. 2015).
- David Sainsbury: Baron Sainsbury of Turville English businessman and academic.
- F Murray Abraham: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- Actor (Amadeus, Mad Man).
- Victor Hollaender: Composer, dies at 74.
- Protestant churches protest against dismissal of Jew civil servants
- Japan eliminates US terms (strike, play ball) from baseball.
- 40 hour work week goes into effect in US (Fair Labor Standards of 1938).