Thursday 24 October 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include F Murray Abraham and Jean-Pierre Genet.
North West Mounted Police, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1940 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- F Murray Abraham: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- Actor (Amadeus, Mad Man).
- Jean-Pierre Genet: French road bicycle racer, professional from 1964 to 1976.
- Martin Campbell: New Zealand director and producer.
- Rafał Piszcz: Polish canoe racer (d. 2012).
- David Sainsbury: Baron Sainsbury of Turville English businessman and academic.
- Yossi Sarid: Israeli politician (d. 2015)
- Victor Hollaender: Composer, dies at 74.
- Protestant churches protest against dismissal of Jew civil servants
- Japan eliminates US terms (strike, play ball) from baseball.
- 40 hour work week goes into effect in US (Fair Labor Standards of 1938).
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Ferry Boat Serenade - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?