Tuesday 24 October 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on October 24, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include F Murray Abraham and Jean Peyrelevade.
Drums Along the Mohawk, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 October 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1939!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1939 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- F Murray Abraham: American actor.
- Jean Peyrelevade: French center-left politician and business leader.
- Uri Sharvit: Composer.
- Paula Allen: Native American poet, literary critic, lesbian activist, and novelist.
- John Adye: English intelligence officer.
- F Abraham: American actor.
- Joe DiMaggio wins AL MVP, Jimmie Foxx is runner-up
- Nazi require wearing of star of David
- Nylon stockings go on sale for first time (Wilmington, Delaware, USA).