Sunday 30 April 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on April 30, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pieter van Vollenhoven and Ellen Taafe Zwilich.
Rose of Washington Square, directed by Gregory Ratoff, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 30 April 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 April 1939!
Which were the important events of 30 April 1939 ?
- Sweden - Birthday of King Carl XVI Gustav, an official flag day.
- Mexico - Children's Day.
- The Netherlands - Queen's Day.
- Saint Pope Pius V
- LaVeyan Satanism - Walpurgisnacht, or Walpurgis Night, as noted in The Satanic Bible.
- Saint Eutropius
- Saint Maximus, 3rd century martyr
- Saint Marianus and James, martyrs in Numidia in 259
- Scandinavia - The arrival of spring, Walpurgis Night.
- Saint Joseph Benedict Cottolengo
- Roman Empire - third day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
- Blessed Hildegard
- Blessed Radolf of Affligem
- Blessed Rosemonde
- Vietnam - Liberation Day.
- Bealtaine Eve (From either Irish Bealtaine or Scottish Gaelic). Originally a Celtic Druid holiday.
- Saint Suitbert the Younger (d. 807)
- Pieter van Vollenhoven
- Ellen Taafe Zwilich: Miami, Florida -- (1st woman composer Pulitzer 1982).
- Pieter van: Vollenhoven; husband of Dutch Princess Margriet.
- Pieter Vollenhoven: Dutch musician, a pianist, who married Princess Margareth of the Netherlands.
- Tropicana ballet of Havana, Cuba forms.
- NBC inaugurates its regularly scheduled television service in New York City, broadcasting President Franklin D. Roosevelt's N.Y. World's Fair opening day ceremonial address.
- The 1939-40 New York World's Fair opens.