Wednesday 12 August 1914
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Luis Mariano and [Hendrik] Jan Bakker.
Aftermath, directed by Elliot Lester, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 12 August 1914
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 12 August 1914 ?
- Luis Mariano: Spanish Basque singer, his family settled in Bordeaux.
- [Hendrik] Jan Bakker: Dutch resistance fighter / journalist (Parool).
- Gerd Buchdahl: German-English philosopher and author (d. 2001).
- Ruth Lowe: Canadian pianist and composer (I'll Never Smile Again) (d. 1981).
- John Philip Holland: Irish submarine designer (Born 1840).
- Cavalery battle at Halen, Belgium (Battle der Zilveren Helmen)
- German 16.5 / 12 guns fires on forts round Luik
- Russian troops take East-Prussia and occupy Marggrabowa
- World War I: the United Kingdom declares war on Austria-Hungary; the countries of the British Empire follow suit.
- Battle of Haelen: Belgian troops repulse the Germans.
- The Panama Canal is inaugurated with the passage of the steamship USS ''Ancon''.
- Mexican Revolution: Venustiano Carranza's troops under general Alvaro Obregon enter Mexico City.
- Edward Elgar's ''Sospiri'', a moving adagio for strings and harp, is first performed in London.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- When It's Night Time Down in Burghandy - George MacFarlane
- Off with the Old Love, On with the New - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell