Wednesday 19 August 1914
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lajos Baroti and Dorothy Castro Pinto.
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 19 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 19 August 1914 ?
- Roman festivals - Vinalia Rustica celebrated in honor of Venus Libitina commemorating the founding of the oldest known temple to her, on the Esquiline Hill, in 293 BC on this date.
- RC saints - Saint Sebald, Saint Louis of Toulouse, Jean-Eudes de MTzeray
- Afghanistan - Afghan Independence Day see above: 1919
- National Day of the Filipino Language, Philippines - Holiday for Quezon City, Quezon Province and other municipalities named after Manuel Quezon
- National Aviation Day, USA
- Lajos Baroti: Hungarian footballer (d. 2005).
- Dorothy Castro Pinto: Costa Rican writer and painter.
- Maurice Bourgès-Maunoury: French radical socialist politician, Prime Minister of France in 1957.
- Raymond Marcellin: French Minister of Interior under General De Gaulle, and then of Agriculture, mayor of Vannes (Brittany) , he was widely known for having censored "Hara-Kiri Hebdo" just after the death of the President, on 16 Novemver 1970.
- Maurice Bouges-Maunoury: Luisant Military man.
- Lajos Baróti: Hungarian footballer and manager (d. 2005)
- Fumio Hayasaka: Japanese composer (d. 1955)
- Franz Xavier Wernz: German Superior General of the Society of Jesus (Born 1844).
- German army executed 150 Belgians by firing squad
- German fleet bombs English coast
- Harris Theater (Candler, Coan & Harris) opens at 226 W 42nd St, New York City
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Off with the Old Love, On with the New - Henry Burr & Albert Campbell
- When It's Night Time Down in Burghandy - George MacFarlane
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?