Wednesday 5 August 1914
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Parley Baer and Lydia Lamaison.
Aftermath, directed by Elliot Lester, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 5 August 1914
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 5 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 5 August 1914 ?
- St. Memmius
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Oswald
- St. Afra and her companions
- Burkina Faso - Independence Day
- Croatia - Victory Day and National Thanksgiving Day
- Parley Baer: American actor (d. 2002).
- Lydia Lamaison
- Jacques Angelvin: French actor and television host who worked with Jacques Chabannes and Roger Féral on the "Tele-Paris" show, which later became "Paris Club.
- Bob Daughters: American baseball player, a right-handed pinch runner who played one game with the Boston Red Sox on 24 April 1937.
- Anita Colby: Washington, DC -- Model / actress (Pepsi Cola Playhouse).
- David Brian: NYC, New York -- Actor (Accussed of Murder, Dawn at Sorocco).
- Stjepan Šulek: Croatian composer and conductor (d. 1986).
- Anthony West: British noted family, the illegitimate son of a hot and heavy love affair between H.G.
- Stjepan Sulek: Croatian violinist / composer (Coriolan).
- 1st traffic light installed (Euclid Ave & E 105th St, Cleveland)
- Cuba, Uruguay, Mexico and Argentina proclaim neutrality in WWI
- Dutch Cort Van de Linden government issues silver bonds as money
- Massive German assault on forts around Luik
- Montenegro declares war against Austria-Hungary in World War I
- Westerschelde leaves due to German invasion in Belgium
- US, Nicaragua sign treaty granting canal rights to US.
- In Cleveland, Ohio, the first electric traffic light is installed.
- World War I: the German minelayer Konigin Luise lays a minefield about 40 miles of the Thames Estuary (Lowestoft). She is intercepted and sunk by the British light-cruiser HMS Amphion.
- 16 ampndash Battle of Liège: The German Army overruns and defeats the Belgians.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Ave Maria - John McCormack
- Puppchen - Prince's Orchestra