Saturday 8 August 1914
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Arthur Holt and Pierre Bénouville.
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while The Eyes of the World by Harold Bell Wright was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1914 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Arthur Holt: Politician.
- Pierre Bénouville: French general, awarded the title of 'Compagnon de la Libération' (English: Companion of the Liberation).
- Francesco Mazzoleni: Italy Scientist.
- Andr? Corteel: Lille physician.
- 3rd pole expedition Ernest Shackleton Endurance
- French troops under General Bonneau occupy Mulhouse at Elzas
- Montenegro declares war on Germany
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Puppchen - Prince's Orchestra
- Ave Maria - John McCormack
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?