Thursday 6 August 1914
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Susan Cowdy and Arthur Charles Dobson.
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1914 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Susan Cowdy: Ornithologist.
- Arthur Charles Dobson: British racing driver (d. 1980).
- Benedict Nicolson: British art historian and author, who was the elder son of authors Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West and the brother of writer and politician Nigel.
- Jean Roux: Commercy physician.
- Gordon Freeth: Australian lawyer and politician 24th Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs (d. 2001).
- Ellen Wilson: 1st lady (1913-14), dies at 54.
- Austria-Hungary declares war on Russia and Serbia
- French cavalry enter Belgium
- German Zeppelin bombs Liege City, 9 killed
- World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic : two days after the United Kingdom had declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Helgoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition leaves British waters.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 August 1914
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- When It's Moonlight on the Alamo - Peerless Quartet
- Kitty McKay - Prince's Orchestra
- When the Angelus is Ringing - Lyric Quartet
- Gems from High Jinks - Victor Light Opera Co.
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?