Friday 6 October 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Douglas K Bereuter and John J LaFalce.
Jamaica Inn, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Escape by Ethel Vance was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 October 1939!
Which were the important events of 6 October 1939 ?
- Judaism - Fast of Gedalia (2005)
- Egypt - National Day or Victory Day; celebrates the results of the October war in 1973
- U.S. - German-American Day observed since 1987; Mad Hatter Day
- French Republican Calendar - �ne (Donkey) Day, fifteenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Ireland - Ivy Day, formerly honoring the Irish revolutionary Padraig Pearse, commemmorates the death of Charles Stewart Parnell.
- Also see October 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Bruno, St Faith
- Douglas K Bereuter: (Rep-R-Nebraska, 1979- ).
- John J LaFalce: (Rep-D-New York, 1975- ).
- Melvyn Bragg: British writer, editor and presenter of the prestigious arts program, "The South Bank Show," which was the winner of 87 major awards.
- Jack Cullen: American baseball player.
- Richard Delgado: American lawyer and academic.
- Sheila Greibach: American computer scientist and academic
- John LaFalce: American politician, and former Member of the United States House of Representatives from New York
- Adolf Hitler denies he intends to go to war against France and Britain
- Hitler announces plans to regulate Jewish problem
- World War II: The last Polish army is defeated.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?