Monday 11 November 1940, Veteran's Day
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio (see planets position on November 11, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barbara Boxer and Mike Melville.
Little Nellie Kelly, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1940!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1940 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Barbara Boxer: American politician, a leading advocate for equality and fairness for U.S.
- Mike Melville: Aviator.
- Shunsuke Ikeda: Japanese actor and model (d. 2010).
- 1,000s Paris students lay reath at Grave of Unknown Soldier
- Blizzard strikes midwestern US killing over 100
- British air attack destroys half of Italian fleet
- Willys unveiled its General Purpose vehicle (Jeep)
- Armistice Day Blizzard: An unexpected blizzard kills 144 in the U.S. Midwest.
- The German cruiser Atlantis captures top secret British mail, and sends it to Japan.
- World War II: Battle of Taranto : The Royal Navy launches the first aircraft carrier strike in history, on the Italian fleet at Taranto.