Wednesday 24 December 1941, Christmas EveUS date format: 12/24/1941, UK date format: 24/12/1941
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on December 24, 1941). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Hans Eichel and David Arkin.
All Through the Night, directed by Vincent Sherman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
On TV people were watching Men at Work.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 December 1941
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1941!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1941 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Hans Eichel: German politician, Minister of Finance...
- David Arkin: Actor (I Love You Alice B Toklas).
- Mike Hazlewood: English singer-songwriter (The Family...
- John Levene: English actor.
- Siegfried Alkan: German composer (Born 1858).
- (about 0930 hours) US forces on Wake Island surrender to the Japanese.
- World War II: Kuching is conquered by Japanese forces.
- British forces capture Benghazi.
- Dutch submarine HNLMS K XVI is the first Allied ship to sink a Japanese warship, sinking the destroyer ''Sagiri'' near Sarawak K XVI is herself torpedoed the following day by Japanese submarine I 66.