Thursday 29 August 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gary Gabelich and James Brady.
Boom Town, directed by Jack Conway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while The Nazarene by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 29 August 1940 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Gary Gabelich: American race champion, the land speed champ in 1970 with 622 mph clocked on the Utah Salt Flats.
- James Brady: American government aide, President Reagan's Press Secretary.
- Wilhelm Ruska: Holland, Netherlands -- Judo champ (1972 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Wim Ruska: Dutch wrestler and martial artist (d. 2015).
- Arthur De Greef: Composer, dies at 77.
- 7th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Green Bay 45, All-Stars 28 (84,567)
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?