Tuesday 1 July 1941
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Gould and Sally Quinn.
Sergeant York, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
while This Above All by Eric Knight was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching CBS Television Quiz.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1941!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1941 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- John Gould: British composer / musical comic.
- Sally Quinn: Georgia, United States -- CBS newscaster (Morning Show).
- Catherine Arminjon-Roesch: French art historian, the General Curator for Heritage at the Ministry of Culture in France, and the author of many books particularly on the furniture of the Royal and Princely Courts.
- Twyla Tharp: American dancer and iconoclastic, considered to be the greatest modern dance choreographer since Martha Graham.
- Rod Gilbert: in Canada; NHL wing (New York Rangers).
- Alfred Gilman: American pharmacologist and biochemist Nobel Prize laureate (d. 2015)
- Myron Scholes: Canadian-American economist and academic Nobel Prize laureate
- 1st coml TV licenses granted-W2XBS-WNBT (NBC) and WCBW (CBS), New York City
- WCBW (now WCBS) TV channel 2 in NY, New York (CBS) begins broadcasting
- WNBT TV (W2XBS, Now WNBC) channel 4 in NYC (NBC) begins broadcasting
- First commercial TV licenses granted-W2XBS-WNBT (NBC) and WCBW (CBS), New York City.
- Bulova Watch Co. pays $9 for first ever network TV commercial.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?