Tuesday 1 July 1941US date format: 7/1/1941, UK date format: 1/7/1941
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 1, 1941). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Twyla Tharp and Sally Quinn.
The Shepherd of the Hills, directed by Henry Hathaway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1941
On TV people were watching CBS Television Quiz.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 July 1941
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1941!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1941 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Twyla Tharp: American dancer and iconoclastic,...
- Sally Quinn: Georgia, United States -- CBS newscaster...
- Catherine Arminjon-Roesch: French art historian, the General...
- John Gould: British composer / musical comic.
- Alfred Gilman: American pharmacologist and biochemist...
- Myron Scholes: Canadian-American economist and academic...
- Rod Gilbert: in Canada; NHL wing (New York Rangers).
- 1st coml TV licenses granted-W2XBS-WNBT (NBC) and WCBW (CBS), New York City
- WCBW (now WCBS) TV channel 2 in NY, New York (CBS) begins broadcasting
- WNBT TV (W2XBS, Now WNBC) channel 4 in NYC (NBC) begins broadcasting
- First commercial TV licenses granted-W2XBS-WNBT (NBC) and WCBW (CBS), New York City.
- Bulova Watch Co. pays $9 for first ever network TV commercial.