Friday 1 November 1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hellmuth Costard and Roger Kellaway.
The Mark of Zorro, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingwa was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Gabby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 November 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 November 1940 ?
- Also see November 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Start of National Novel Writing Month
- World Vegan Day
- Mexico - The Day of the Dead
- Ireland - Samhain the traditional first day of Winter
- Algeria - National day
- Catholicism - Holy Day of Obligation, All Saints Day. Holiday in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Guatemala.
- Roman festivals - last day of the Ludi Victoriae Sullanae.
- Antigua and Barbuda - Independence Day (from Britain, 1981)
- Hellmuth Costard: German film director.
- Roger Kellaway: American pianist and composer.
- Ramesh Lahoti: Indian lawyer and jurist 35th Chief Justice of India.
- Bruce Grocott: Baron Grocott English academic and politician.
- Barry Sadler: singer (Green Berets), dies at age 49 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- 1st US air raid shelter, Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
- Dutch Curfew forms (12 AM - 4 AM)
- First US air raid shelter, Fleetwood, Pennsylvania.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?