Wednesday 20 November 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Arieh Warshel and Bob Einstein in Los Angeles.
The Letter, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while The Nazarene by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 November 1940!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 20 November 1940 ?
- Church of England - Edmund the Martyr
- Brazil - Zumbi Day (since 1978)
- United Kingdom - wedding day of Queen Elizabeth II (1947), official flag day
- Mexico - Anniversary of the Revolution (1910)
- UNICEF - Universal Children's Day
- Vietnam - Teacher's Day (Ngay nha gi�o Vi?t Nam)
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (since 1999) 
- Arieh Warshel: Israeli-American Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Southern California.
- Bob Einstein in Los Angeles: California, USA; comedian (Officer Judy, Super Dave Osborne).
- Philippe Darondel: French race horse trainer and jockey, the father of jockeys Jean-Philippe and Frédéric Darondel.
- Morris Jarvis: American merchandise marketer and CEO in charge of Hancock Fabrics, a craft line, fabrics wholesale and retail marketer.
- John Rollwagon: American electrical engineer and CEO in charge of Cray Research, a science-based supercomputer manufacturer.
- Helma Sanders-Brahms: German director producer and screenwriter (d. 2014).
- Ediz Hun: Turkish actor and politician.
- Hungary joins 3 Power pact
- World War II: Hungary becomes a signatory of the Tripartite Pact, officially joining the Axis Powers.
- In Romania, coup leader General Ion Antonescu's Iron Guard arrests and executes over 60 of exiled king Carol II of Romania's aides. Among the dead is former minister and acclaimed historian Nicolae Iorga.
- WWII: The Royal Navy and Regia Marina fight the Battle of Cape Spartivento.
- December ndash Timely Comics' Captain America Comics #1 (cover dated March 1941), first appearance of Captain America and Bucky, hits newsstands in the United States.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Down Argentina Way - Bob Crosby & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?