Saturday 28 December 1929
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 28, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Owen Bieber and Maarten Schmidt.
Chasing Rainbows, directed by Charles Reisner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 28 December 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 December 1929!
Which were the important events of 28 December 1929 ?
- The third day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Calendar of Saints - Feast of the Holy Innocents, a.k.a. Childermas, commemorating the Massacre of the Innocents on order of king Herod the Great. In Spain and Latin American countries the festival is celebrated in a manner similar to April Fool's Day.
- Maarten Schmidt: Netherlands -- US astronomer (quasars).
- Owen Bieber: United Auto Workers president.
- Terry Sawchuk NHL goaltender (Detroit Red Wings: Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers).
- Richard Williams: American child prodigy who, as one of the radio Quiz Kids, appeared on more of the shows than any of the others.
- Brian Redhead: English journalist and author (d. 1994).
- Terry Sawchuk: Canadian-American ice hockey player (d. 1970).
- quotBlack Saturdayquot in Samoa: New Zealand colonial police kill 11 unarmed demonstrators, an event which leads the Mau movement to demand independence for Samoa.ref name=quotMeleisea, Malama 1987, pp.137-8quotMeleisea, Malama, ''Lagaga: A Short History of Western Samoa'', 1987, ISBN 982-02-0029-6, pp.137–8