Wednesday 25 December 1929, Christmas
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Irish McCalla and Billy Horton.
Sunnyside Up, directed by David Butler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
while All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1929!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1929 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Irish McCalla: Pawnee City, Nebraska -- Actress (Sheena Queen of Jungle).
- Billy Horton: rocker (The Silhouettes - "Get a Job").
- André Debaar: Belgian actor and film director who died in Uccle on 16 February 2011.
- Stuart Hall: Former English radio and television presenter.
- Régine : Belgian singer and owner of the nightclubs Jimmy's and Chez Régine.
- Christine Jones: American educator and politician (d. 2013)
- Chris Kenner: American singer and songwriter (d. 1976)
- Grimmett takes 6-146 for SA, Queensland all out 380 Crowd 5,390
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1929 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Chant of the Jungle - Roy Ingraham & His Orchestra
- Ruth Etting - More Than You Know
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?