Tuesday 17 August 1920
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Georgia Gibbs and Maureen O'Hara.
The Penalty, directed by Wallace Worsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1920
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 1920!
Which were the important events of 17 August 1920 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
- Georgia Gibbs: Worcester, Massachusetts -- Singer (Ballin the Jack, Kiss of Fire).
- Maureen O'Hara: Irish-American actress who was particularly popular in American movies of the 1940s and '50s.
- Lida Moser: American photographer and author (d. 2014).
- In memory of Ray Chapman (died August 16), Yanks cancel game with Indians
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 17 August 1920
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1920 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- When My Baby Smiles at Me - Billy Murray & Rachel Grant (Gladys Rice)
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?