Tuesday 20 August 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 20, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Massimo Gargia and Jacques Bouveresse.
Night Train to Munich, directed by Carol Reed, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 20 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 20 August 1940 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
- Massimo Gargia
- Jacques Bouveresse
- Rajendra K Pachauri
- Ruben Hinojosa: American politician.
- Rubén Hinojosa: American businessman and politician.
- Bill McCartney: Celebrity.
- Rex Sellers: Indian-Australian cricketer.
- Gus Macdonald: Scottish academic and politician Minister for the Cabinet Office.
- John Lantree: Rocker.
- Sam Melville: Utah, United States -- Actor (Mike Danko-Rookies, Roughnecks).
- 1st Polish squadrons fight along in the Battle of Britain
- Leon Trotsky, revolutionary, icepicked by Frank Jackson, dies
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill says of the Royal Air Force, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few".
- In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.