Tuesday 20 August 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Massimo Gargia and Jacques Bouveresse.
Foreign Correspondent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Kitty Foyle by Christopher Morle was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 20 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 20 August 1940 ?
- Morocco - Revolution of the King and the People Day
- RC saints - Saint Bernard of Clairvaux
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Asm� (Names) - First day of the ninth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Estonia - Restoration Day
- Hungary - St. Stephen's day, the main national holiday in Hungary
- Massimo Gargia
- Jacques Bouveresse
- Rajendra K Pachauri
- Ruben Hinojosa: American politician.
- Rubén Hinojosa: American businessman and politician.
- Gus Macdonald: Scottish academic and politician Minister for the Cabinet Office.
- Rex Sellers: Indian-Australian cricketer.
- John Lantree: Rocker.
- Sam Melville: Utah, United States -- Actor (Mike Danko-Rookies, Roughnecks).
- 1st Polish squadrons fight along in the Battle of Britain
- Leon Trotsky, revolutionary, icepicked by Frank Jackson, dies
- British Prime Minister Winston Churchill says of the Royal Air Force, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few".
- In Mexico City exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramon Mercader. He dies the next day.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?