Sunday 18 August 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 18, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Goldstone and Adam Makowicz.
Young People, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 18 August 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 18 August 1940 ?
- RC saints - Saint Helena of Constantinople,Saint Alberto Hurtado
- Buhe in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
- Pierre Goldstone: French homicide; killed his fiancée and her lover in Dijon, France on 9/23/1983.
- Adam Makowicz: Polish-Canadian pianist and composer.
- Gil Whitney: American journalist (d. 1982).
- Charles Wilson: Scottish journalist.
- Walter P Chrysler: American automobile executive (Born 1875).
- 71 German aircrafts shot down above England
- HRH The Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor, is installed as Governor of the Bahamas.
- WWII: Winston Churchill pays tribute in the House of Commons to the Royal Air Force: ampquotNever in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.ampquot
- Leon Trotsky is attacked with an ice axe in his Mexico home by NKVD agent Ramón Mercader.