Sunday 4 August 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Karel Vachek and Rosemarie "Timi" Yuro.
The Return of Frank James, directed by Fritz Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 4 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 4 August 1940 ?
- Ancient Egypt - Jubilation of the Heart of Re
- El Salvador - Transfiguration Bank Holiday
- Cook Islands - Constitution Day (celebrations begin on the last Friday in July and last up to 2 weeks.)
- Burkina Faso - Anniversary of the Revolution
- St. Luanus/Lugid
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint John Vianney, the patron saint of priests
- St. Dominic
- Karel Vachek: Director (Moravska Hellas, Elective Affinities).
- Rosemarie "Timi" Yuro: US singer (Hurt).
- Timi Yuro: American singer (d. 2004).
- Robin Harper: Scottish academic and politician.
- Larry Knechtel: American bass player and pianist (Bread and The Wrecking Crew) (d. 2009).
- Vladimir Jabotinsky: Founder of Revisionist Zionism.
- Gen. John J. Pershing, in a nationwide radio broadcast, urges all-out aid to Britain in order to defend the Americas, while Charles Lindbergh speaks to an isolationist rally at Soldier Field in Chicago.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?