Saturday 24 August 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Don Cormier Sr and Tony Secunda.
Boom Town, directed by Jack Conway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Kitty Foyle by Christopher Morle was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 24 August 1940 ?
- Liberia: Flag Day
- RC Saints - Feast day of Saint Bartholomew
- Roman festivals - first of the 3 days on which the mundus was opened
- Ukraine: National Holiday, independence from Russia (1991)
- Sierra Leone: President's Birthday
- Don Cormier Sr: Horse trainer.
- Tony Secunda: Rock band manager.
- Francine Lalonde: Canadian educator and politician (d. 2014).
- Madsen Pirie: English author and educator.
- Paul G Nipkow: German TV pioneer (Nipkow disk), dies at 80.
- Luftwaffe bombs London
- Red Sox left fielder Ted Williams pitches the last 2 innings in a 12-1 loss to Detroit Tigers, Williams allows 3 hits and 1 run
- Howard Florey and a team including Ernst Chain and Norman Heatley at the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, publish their laboratory results showing the ''in vivo'' bactericidal action of penicillin. They have also purified the drug.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?