Thursday June 13, 1940
US date format: 6/13/1940, UK date format: 13/6/1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini (see birth chart on June 13, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Bobby Freeman in San Francisco and Ida Di Benedetto.
The Mortal Storm, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 13, 1940?
- Saint Ragnobert, martyr [GTZ: Lyon]
- Saint Valericus, bishop [WTS (Bruges)]
- Roman Empire ? Quinquatrus Minusculae held in honor of Minerva
- Roman Empire ? seventh day of the Vestalia in honor of Vesta
- See more
- WWII: Paris is declared an open city.
- WWII: The Soviet Union annexes three Baltic States which are Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. This is the most popular date to be said when the term Soviet Empire was coined.
- WWII: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Naval Expansion Act into law, which aims to increase the United States Navy's tonnage by 11%.
- WWII: A group of 728 Polish political prisoners from Tarnów become the first residents of the Auschwitz concentration camp.