Monday 1 July 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
All This, and Heaven Too, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1940 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Jack Acker: Baseball pitcher (New York Yankees).
- Kenneth Clarke: British minister.
- Craig Brown: Scottish world cup football coach (soccer) 1998.
- Ela Gandhi: South African activist and politician.
- Cahit Zarifoğlu: Turkish poet and author (d. 1987).
- Australia refuses entry to Dutch Jewish refugees
- The first Tacoma Narrows Bridge opens for business, built with an above the water, as the third longest suspension bridge in the world.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?