Tuesday 6 January 1920, Epiphany
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Doris Stokes and Jean Ipousteguy.
Within Our Gates, directed by Oscar Micheaux, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1920
while The River's End by James Oliver Curwood was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 6 January 1920 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- Doris Stokes: British world famous medium and author of "Voices In My Ear" and more.
- Jean Ipousteguy
- Sun Myung Moon: Evangelist (Unification Church-Moonies).
- John Maynard Smith: English biologist (d. 2004).
- Jean-Robert Ipoustéguy: French sculptor, studied painting and drawing in Paris in 1938, under Robert Lesbounit.
- Early Wynn: American pro athlete, a baseball player who began his career in 1939 with the Washington Senators and retired his career in 1963 as a member of the Cleveland Indians.
- David Oberlin: Atchison Politician.
- John Smith: English biologist and geneticist (d. 2004).
- Earl Kim: Composer.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1920 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Oh! What a Pal was Mary - Edward Allen
- Nobody Knows (and Nobody Seems to Care) - Irving Kaufman & Jack Kaufman
- Broken Blossoms - Charles Harrison
- The Hand That Rocked the Cradle Rules My Heart - John Steel
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?