Explore what happened in1965
1965 was a year of sweeping changes, particularly in the United States. In January, President Lyndon B. Johnson announced the plan for his “Great Society” programs. A set of Democrat, or neo-liberal programs, the Great Society programs sought to vastly expand the American welfare state and the role of the Federal government in virtually all aspects of American society, including education, the arts, medicine, the environment, and more. These programs would be continued under subsequent Republican administrations.
A notable development for the year 1965 specifically in this regard was the signing of the 1965 Civil Rights Act.
While major changes were occurring on the domestic side for America, all was not quiet on the foreign policy front either. In March of 1965, President Johnson ordered 3,500 U.S. Marines to Vietnam. These were the first official combat troops deployed to Vietnam during American involvement in that conflict.
In popular culture, The Sound of Music, starring Julie Andrews, premiered in New York City. The Beatles performed the first stadium concert in music history, playing at Shea Stadium in New York City. In December, A Charlie Brown Christmas, the first Peanuts special, made its debut, becoming a Christmastime tradition for millions.
The American space program hit a major milestone this year with the successful launch of Gemini 3, which was the first two-man crew into Earth’s orbit for the United States.
In a tremendous global development, the Second Vatican Council of the Roman Catholic Church closed in December of 1965. The council would re-shape the relationship between the Roman Catholic Church and modernity, and continues to have a significant impact around the world. At this Council, it was decided that the Church would become more open and relaxed toward the modern world, allowing for more use of vernacular languages and many changes to the liturgy, music, art, and architecture of the Church.
Which were the most popular movies released this year ?
Which were the top hits of 1965 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Yesterday
- Herman's Hermits - Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
- The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
- The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season)
- Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself
- The Righteous Brothers - You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
- Petula Clark - Downtown
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys - This Diamond Ring
- The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Wooly Bully
Top #10 songs in the UK
- The Seekers - The Carnival Is Over
- The Rolling Stones - The Last Time
- The Hollies - I'm Alive
- Ken Dodd - Tears
- Elvis Presley - Crying In The Chapel
- Sonny & Cher - I Got You Babe
- The Walker Brothers - Make It Easy On Yourself
- The Who - My Generation
- The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You
- The Beatles - Ticket To Ride
Which were the most popular books released in 1965 ?
Which were the top popular names given to babies born in 1965 in the USA ?
Top #10 male names
Top #10 female names
What happened in each day of 1965
Click on the dates below to find out what the world looked like in each day of 1965